Fans of The Conjuring film franchise will have to wait an extra nine months for the third installment to hit theaters, thanks to the continuing COVID-19 pandemic.
The Conjuring 3: The Devil Made Me Do It had been slated for release on Sept. 11 of this year, but with the virus crisis still an issue and additional shooting on the schedule, Warner Bros. decided to err on the side of caution and release the film on June 4, 2021, as reported by comicbook.com.
Safety for moviemakers and fans alike seemed to be front and center for Warner Bros. chairman Toby Emmerich during a recent interview. “Our goals throughout this process have been to ensure the highest odds of success for our films,” he said, “while also being ready to support our theater partners with new content as soon as they could safely reopen.”
Emmerich added that Warner Bros. remains “steadfast in our commitment to the theatrical experience around the world. Unfortunately, the pandemic continues to proliferate, causing us to reevaluate our release dates.”
This third film in the popular series–directed by Michael Chaves and again starring Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga from the original 2013 movie–is described as “a chilling story of terror, murder and unknown evil that shocked even real-life paranormal investigators Ed and Lorraine Warren.”
The movie relates “one of the most sensational cases from their files,” the synopsis continues. “It starts with the fight for the soul of a young boy, then takes them beyond anything they’d ever seen before, to mark the first time in U.S. history that a murder suspect would claim demonic possession as a defense.”
Screenwriter David Leslie Johnson-McGoldrick said the film “is going to be a very different Conjuring movie than we’ve seen before. The franchise is expanding beyond the ‘haunted house’ formula.”
Lead actor Wilson added that “we are pushing our characters places they haven’t gone, but the film will be a really nice addition because it’s definitely a different beast. Pun intended.”
The movie that started the franchise on its way–The Conjuring–was directed by James Wan and written by Chad and Carey W. Hayes. The film followed Ed and Lorraine Warren as they investigated disturbing events taking place in the Rhode Island farmhouse of the Perron family. A huge success at the box office–grossing $319 million worldwide on a $20-million budget–the original spawned a 2016 sequel, The Conjuring 2.
Keep reading Horror News Network for any additional revelations on the release of The Conjuring 3: The Devil Made Me Do It.