By:Â Blood E. Bastard
The hammer of the gods will drive our ships to new lands
â€œImmigrant Songâ€ Led Zeppelin
Today is the shortest day in the solar year. In honor of our brethren to the north, where the cold nights are endless, I thought it appropriate to compile a list of my â€œTop 5 Nordic Horror Films.â€Â So curl up with some aquavit or Glogg to ward off the chill of these Scandinavian tales of terror.
Here they are in order of personal preference:
1. Let the Right One In (2008) – Based on the bestselling Swedish novel of the same name, the film fills your lungs with atmosphere. This gender-bending, genre-challenging, mind-screw of a vampire tale is an instant classic.
2. Cold Prey (2006) – Drawing on many of the same conventions of the American camping horror film, this Norwegian chiller pits a group of stranded snowboarders against a relentless killer.
3. Dead Snow (2009) – A group of medical students get a lesson in gross anatomy while they battle a group of Nazi zombies! Twinges of dark humor round out this Norwegian blood bath.
4. Nightwatch (1994) – A Danish law student takes on a job as a night watchman in a morgue in an effort to get some studying done. The distractions are plentiful as the morgue fills up with the victims of a serial killerâ€¦ and guess who is the prime suspect?!
5. Trollhunter (2010) – Our third Norwegian entry concerns a group of students following a hunter who seeks more than â€˜lions and tigers and bearsâ€™.Â One of the best â€œFound Footageâ€ films ever!
Feedback is always welcome! Please comment, challenge and add your own films and thoughts to the comments section!