Horror fans can never get their fill of shark-infested thrillers, and here comes another one.
The news pipeline dried up on the fate of The Meg 2 last year, but this week brought word that the sequel to the 2018 underwater blockbuster is gearing up for production in England and will start shooting Jan. 24, according to a report on KFTV.
The movie–officially titled Meg 2: The Trench–is scheduled to film at the Warner Bros. Studios Leavesden through late May, using two water tanks (one exterior and one inside D Stage). No release date has yet been announced.
The Meg 2–directed by Ben Wheatley from a screenplay by Dean Georgaris and Jon and Erich Hoeber (who wrote the original film)–will see Jason Statham reprise his role as intrepid diver Jonas Taylor. No other casting choices have been revealed at this time.
Wheatley approached this project with gusto last year. “This came up, and I just said, ‘Meg 2, I’ll do that! That’s brilliant’,” he said. “It’s an opportunity to do action on such an insanely large scale. I feel a heavy responsibility, to make sure it delivers for all the big shark fans out there.”
The original The Meg–directed by Jon Turteltaub–was based on Steve Alten’s 1997 Meg: A Novel of Deep Terror. The film–which raked in $530 million worldwide on a $150-million budget–told the story of a U.S. Navy diver who sets out to rescue a group of scientists from a 75-foot-long prehistoric shark known as a megalodon prowling the depths of the Mariana Trench in the Pacific Ocean.
Keep reading Horror News Network for the latest on The Meg 2.