Time to put this one on speed dial.
The Black Phone–one of last year’s biggest horror hits–is nearing a sequel, and this week, a theatrical release date of June 27, 2025 has been announced, according to a report on Deadline.
Director Scott Derrickson said more than a year ago that a follow-up film was being discussed, and this report confirms that. What is not yet known is if Derrickson will return to the director’s chair or if the cast will reprise their roles.
Last year, Derrickson said Joe Hill–who wrote the short story upon which the original film was based–had a “great idea” for a sequel. “I really liked it,” the director said. “It was terrific.”
The Black Phone--helmed by Derrickson from a screenplay by C. Robert Cargill–stars Ethan Hawke as The Grabber and Mason Thames as young Finney Shaw–along with Madeleine McGraw, Jeremy Davies, James Ransone and E. Roger Mitchell.
In the film, Shaw is abducted and trapped in a soundproof basement by The Grabber, but, when a disconnected black phone starts to ring, the boy discovers he can hear the voices of the killer’s past victims. And those voices want to “make sure what happened to them doesn’t happen to Finney.”
Keep reading Horror News Network for further updates on The Black Phone 2.