So a friend and I were having a discussion the other day about how some horror movies become almost household names and some, that may be superior, are not as well recognized. Take “The Blair Witch Project” for example; this movie is, in my humble opinion, one of the biggest turds ever made but everyone knows, and for some reason loves it! But just mention “Evil Dead” to the casual fan and watch the puzzled look that you get from at least half of them!
Anyway, since I’m a firm believer that all good lists come in tens, below is a list (in no particular order) of ten of the movies that my friend and I were discussing that I believe are highly under-appreciated.
1. “The Other” (1972) – Easily one of the best movies to tackle the “evil children” genre. Creepy and fantastic. (And yes, that IS John Ritter!)
2. “Lisa and the Devil” (1974) – Eerie Bava film that will keep you glued to your seat. Stars Telly Savalas. (Who loves ya, baby?)
3. “Feast” (2005) – The result of Project Greenlight, this flick is short on plot but HUGE on gore. (And I love gore!)
4. “Dead and Buried” (1981) – Great effects by Stan Winston and features a pre-“Nightmare” Robert Englund; one of my favorites as a kid.
5. “Deranged” (1974) – The real Ed Gein story. Great makeup by a young Tom Savini.
6. “Evil Dead Trap” (1988) – An oh-so-good brutal Japanese slasher movie.
7. “Zombie” (1979) – Okay, maybe you have seen this Fulci great but plenty of people haven’t; one of my favorite zombie movies.
8. “Cube” (1997) – Without “Cube”, there is no “Saw”. Period.
9. “Cemetery Man” (1994) – Not as funny a zombie-comedy as “Shaun of the Dead” but still pretty amusing and worthy of this list.
10. “Paperhouse” (1988) – More creepy than it is scary, maybe not even really “horror” but this is my list so I’m keeping it here.
Well, there you have it. This list is in no way perfect since I’m pretty sure that I’ve probably left out some gems that are just as obscure but maybe even better than the ones that I’ve listed here. If you know of any, please let me know; I’m always looking for the next good scare!
Stay gory my friends,