Turn up the pulse-pounding John Williams score! Jaws is back, and Discovery Channel’s annual Shark Week event has your ticket.
Actually, the 1975 Steven Spielberg classic summer blockbuster will lead into the official Shark Week, according to comicbook.com, airing July 10 on Discovery. Also, just to further whet your appetite, the Sharknado series will start streaming on discovery+ July 1.
Shark Week proper this year–complete with 45 hours of fin-filled programming–runs from July 11-18. And two special documentaries will be featured this time around: Envoy: Shark Cull (dealing with the importance of sharks, while uncovering the longest marine cull ever) premieres July 1 and Eli Roth’s Fin (which exposes the death of millions of sharks around the globe) starts July 13.
The highlights of the rest of Shark Week include:
- Crikey! It’s Shark Week–July 11 at 8 p.m. (ET)–Following in his famous father’s footsteps, Robert Irwin comes face-to-face with a great white for the first time in order to find out who is the true apex predator–crocodiles or sharks?
- Expedition Unknown: Shark Trek–July 12 at 10 p.m. (ET)–Josh Gates teams up with William Shatner and enters shark-infested waters to understand the nature of fear and to confront a shark.
- MotherSharker–July 13 at 8 p.m. (ET)–A team of scientists and shark experts employ modern technology to find out how tiger sharks give birth.
- MechaShark–July 14 at 8 p.m. (ET)–Researchers build a submersible mechanical shark to track down New Zealand’s monster great whites and explore what they believe could be a mating ground.
- Sharkadelic Summer 2–July 15 at 9 p.m. (ET)–Let’s see if this summer will be the “sharkiest” on record. Snoop Dogg breaks down the craziest encounters and wildest reactions.
- Ninja Sharks: Mutants Rising–July 16 at 8 p.m. (ET)–Scientists and shark experts discover three sharks that somehow have developed unique and deadly ninja skills.
- Shark Week Best In Show–July 17 at 9 p.m. (ET)–Discover everything that has happened in the world of sharks this year, including unreal viral videos, big news stories and the latest in shark science.
- The Great Hammerhead Stakeout–July 18 streaming exclusively on discovery+–Scientists travel to Andros Island to investigate reports of an exclusive population of giant hammerheads and engage in one of the longest shark dives ever–upwards of 10 hours–using an underwater habitat.
Keep reading Horror News Network for any updates on Shark Week on Discovery.