Will Kong save the day next time around?
The main storyline of the sequel to last year’s Godzilla vs. Kong blockbuster–filming in Australia under the working title of Origins–has been kept under wraps so far, but a press release dropped by (of all sources) the Australian government may have shed some light on things.
The release (via Twitter outlet Kaiju News Outlet) said this fifth entry in the MonsterVerse franchise “will see Kong defend the Earth from the unusual and dangerous creatures that threaten his new home.” Could one of those “dangerous creatures” be Godzilla? Or a new kaiju? Stay tuned.
New plot details for the "Godzilla vs. Kong" sequel film have been revealed by the Australian Government. "The fifth film the MonsterVerse franchise will see Kong defend the Earth from the unusual and dangerous creatures that threaten his new home." pic.twitter.com/Wc5wSzshhX
— Kaiju News Outlet (@KaijuNewsOutlet) August 12, 2022
The Legendary Pictures sequel–directed by the returning Adam Wingard–is slated for a March 15, 2024 theatrical release. The only (human) casting announced so far is Dan Stevens (The Guest) in an undisclosed role.
Wingard has said he’s looking for a monster-filled sequel. The film, he said, “should be the first full-on monster film. I would say, 30 percent humans and the rest monsters–basically flipping the formula of a lot of these movies. I think people are ready for it.”
The box office shattered and shook with the 2021 release of Godzilla vs. Kong. The film was the second movie of the pandemic era to break the $100-million barrier domestically, on its way to a global haul of $468 million.
Keep reading Horror News Network for the latest on the sequel to Godzilla vs. Kong.