Sure, Godzilla vs. Kong was a groundshaking knock-down, drag-out brawl, but will the Fight of the Century lead to even more titanic clashes to come?
It looks like the filmmakers behind that Legendary Pictures blockbuster may have already set the wheels in motion for future creature features, according to a report on screenrant.com.
Godzilla vs. Kong screenwriter Max Borenstein in a recent interview spilled the beans (kinda) about some MonsterVerse plans. “I’ve heard some exciting things that are happening that I can’t divulge,” he teased. “They have a great handle on things, and I certainly have thoughts and am always excited when I get involved with them.”
Borenstein added that, with the success of the much-hyped film, “there will be some new, interesting installments coming. Without being able to say any of that officially, you can look at the fact that the film performed and people responded to it.”
Borenstein also said it was “wonderful timing” to release the monster movie towards the end of the pandemic surge. “People really felt eager to see something that was fun and joyful in the cinema, and it was really exciting to have our movie be that movie,” he said.
To drive home that point, Godzilla vs. Kong raked in more than $467 million at the box office, making it the fourth highest-grossing film so far this year.
In addition to the hints dropped by Borenstein, Legendary Pictures chief executive Josh Grode has also confirmed that ideas are being circulated to continue the franchise. And Godzilla vs. Kong director Adam Wingard has hinted that he is in negotiations on a new film–possibly Son of Kong.
In the meantime, horror fans can continue to enjoy Godzilla vs. Kong on digital platforms and when the film returns to HBO Max Aug. 17.
With all these possibilities floating around the MonsterVerse, keep reading Horror News Network for the latest developments.