Coming in from Collider, action star Jason Statham has confirmed the sequel to 2018’s The Meg will begin filming in January 2022 and be directed by Ben Wheatley.
Based on Meg: A Novel of Deep Terror by Steve Alten, The Meg was released on August 10, 2018 to mixed reviews but became a box office success. The monster film earned $530.2 million worldwide.
The story is about the reemergence of a giant deep-sea creature, known as the Megalodon. This pre-historic 75-foot-long shark was previously thought to be extinct, however a group of scientists and a cunning rescue diver (Statham), soon find out the creature is very much alive and very hungry.
In the article, Statham said, “We’re gonna start shooting in January, if I get my dates right. Ben Wheatley is the director, I’m very excited to work with him. I’m thrilled to get going, it’s been a while. We’ve been waiting around for the right scripts to come in and the right director to turn up, and we’ve got all those things and they’re all stacked up now.”
Alten’s sequel novel, The Meg: The Trench, is said to be inspiration for the follow-up’s story.
Although a release date has not been set, The Meg 2 will surely offer more thrills and action-packed moments, especially with Statham returning as the star.
Check back soon for more!