HNN’s Larry Dwyer and Sean McLaughlin once again invaded the Jacob Javitz Center in Manhattan for Toy Fair New York, the annual international convention of toy manufacturers, distributors and retailers. And once again, all horror fans have a LOT to look forward to in 2019 and beyond.
The usual suspects of horror industry heavyweights such as NECA, Mezco and McFarlane Toys (among many others) did not disappoint with their impressive displays and product announcements, which are covered in the event pictures posted here. While the genre standards like Freddy Krueger, Jason Voorhees and Chucky were of course well-represented, several new exciting licenses were unveiled as well. Our favorites are They Live, which saw multiple companies announce brand-new figure lines, and the anticipated upcoming film The Curse of La Llorona. Mezco appears to be knocking it out of the park in respect to the latter.
HNN was able to spend time with industry heavyweights such as Todd McFarlane himself and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles co-creator Kevin Eastman, as well as hip hop legend Darryl “DMC” McDaniels. Our social media accounts were busy, posting photos throughout the day and even going Live on Facebook with the folks from Trick or Treat Studios (video posted on our page if you missed it live.) Larry and Sean caught up with our friends over at the Nerds in a Bar podcast (“Nerds in a Bar” on YouTube), did an exclusive interview with WizKids/NECA on their upcoming horror board game from Japan called “Hako Onna” (https://youtu.be/U4MciNT7oX4), and even shot exclusive swag bag un-boxing and the McFarlane booth tour videos for our Patreon clients only (https://www.patreon.com/horrornewsnetwork).
The boys had a blast at Toy Fair New York 2019, and can’t wait for next year’s edition. Here is the review of what the more horror-friendly companies were displaying in their booths, and what you can expect to start emptying your wallet for in the very near future!
- The Shining Living Dead Dolls (Grady Twins and Jack Torrance) were on display for the first time.
- A new line of action figures called “5 Points” were unveiled, with Scooby Doo and the Addams Family among the first properties to be created
- The Curse of La Llorona pieces, in all formats, were introduced and did not disappoint
- A Chilling Adventures of Sabrina LDD was presented, and looks very cool
- The One:12 Collective pieces continue to impress, and the alien figure from They Live will be a must-own
- Their Pop! Vinyl line is still king, with numerous new licenses and characters unveiled
- Ghostbusters is once again a very hot property, and Funko has created many new lines and likenesses based off of that franchise
- With the new movie on the horizon, Funko is all in on the Five Nights at Freddy’s business
- The yet-to-be-released Gage and Church from Pet Sematary Pop! figure looks to be a big hit already
- Stranger Things, IT and other reliable properties are still going strong
- They continue to think outside of the box with the Reaction Figure line, with new properties being produced such as Aliens, Breakin’, They Live and the second series of Universal Monsters
- Rock and heavy metal bands are dominating the releases! Ghost, Ozzy, Slayer, Motorhead and new variations of the Misfits are all set for wide releases.
- While not horror, the baseball legends and huge new line of Masters of the Universe are incredible.
- The Night Breed, Halloween III, and Corpse Pamela Voorhees figures really blew us away
- While every company that has the license is doing great things with the Alien and Predator lines, NECA goes above and beyond
- Numerous versions of the 1990 and 2017 Pennywise character are on full display….even the doll version of the 1990 clown from the 2017 movie!
- The Gremlins theater display…..incredible!
The Loyal Subjects
- Mini’s of hot horror franchises like Alien, Predator and Ghostbusters highlight their upcoming slate
- While The Walking Dead is still on their radar, games such as Five Nights at Freddy’s and Cuphead were on full display in their booth
- The Stranger Things line continues to grow, with figures and playsets for season 3 set to coincide with the release on Netflix (no preview yet due to possible spoilers)
- A Mortal Kombat line of toys is in the pipeline
- Owner/creator/legend Todd McFarlane and DMC were in the booth!
- Godzilla….enough said
- Horror fans should check out their Nightmare Before Christmas and Addams Family sets. Incredibly detailed and collectible.
Trick or Treat Studios
- Their Michael Myers masks continue to be in high demand, especially coming off the heels of last year’s Halloween remake
- Talky Tina from the classic “Living Doll” episode of The Twilight Zone will be a required purchase
- They unveiled their new horror ornament line, starting with Leatherface and Michael Myers
- Check out our Facebook Live video on the HNN Facebook page for more!
- Horror fans will appreciate their lines of metal lunch boxes, rings and even cane-toppers!
- They tackle a line of action figures that have not yet been given the love it deserves…..Shaun of the Dead
Here are some notable pictures of other cool horror-related toys on display at the 2019 Toy Fair!