HOLLYWOOD, Calif. — Grindhouse Releasing is blazing a bloody trail of chainsaw carnage in 2016 with the company’s best home video release to date: the highly anticipated 3-disc deluxe Blu-ray edition of the 1980s slasher classic PIECES. Hitting stores March 1, this jam-packed, definitive hi-def set (specs below) comes complete with an eye-popping PIECES jigsaw puzzle (limited to the first 3000 copies, available now for pre-order at Diabolik DVD (link) and Amazon.com (link). Through an exclusive deal with Grindhouse Releasing, Diabolik DVD customers will receive PIECES a week early on February 23 – and get first crack at the limited edition, which is projected to sell out fast.
“We’ve had phenomenal response to our announcement of PIECES,” says Grindhouse Releasing theatrical director and publicist David Szulkin. “It’s been one of our most requested titles for the Blu-ray market, and already, in pre-orders alone PIECES ranked as one of Diabolik DVD’s top ten Blu-ray best-sellers of 2015. PIECES is also a real crowd-pleaser in theaters, and we will be screening it at midnight shows and on college campuses across the country to promote the Blu-ray, starting at the Coolidge Corner Theatre in Boston (link) where the movie takes place.”
Directed by Juan Piquer Simón and starring Christopher George (Lucio Fulci’s CITY OF THE LIVING DEAD, GRIZZLY, TV’s RAT PATROL), Edmund Purdom (DON’T OPEN TIL CHRISTMAS), Paul L. Smith (MIDNIGHT EXPRESS, David Lynch’s DUNE, and Robert Altman’s POPEYE) and Lynda Day George (MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE), PIECES tells the story of a psychopathic killer stalking a Boston campus, brutally slaughtering nubile young college co-eds, collecting body parts from each victim to create the likeness of his mother who he savagely murdered with an axe when he was ten years old.
PIECES was a Variety Top 10 box office smash in its original release, debuting at #5 in its first week (ahead of RETURN OF THE JEDI at #6!). It has remained a favorite among connoisseurs of gore, including director Eli Roth who ranks PIECES as one of his top horror films of all time.
“We are very proud of this release, ” says Grindhouse Releasing co- founder Bob Murawski, an Academy Award-winning film editor whose credits include THE HURT LOCKER, SPIDER MAN 1, 2, & 3, ARMY OF DARKNESS, and the hit Starz TV series ASH VS. EVIL DEAD.
“The stunning 4K masters, the incredible 42nd Street documentary produced by Calum Waddell and Naomi Holwill, the terrific new audio commentary by Jack Taylor, Jim Kunz’ grueling 9 months of encoding, transcoding, authoring and menu design, the beautiful packaging by Tad Leger and Dan Harrington, and what we consider to be the coup of the century: the long-awaited, highly anticipated return of Rick Sullivan of GORE GAZETTE fame, contributing magnificent new liner notes to the release. We think it’s our best release yet! ”
PIECES is the latest in a series of essential horror Blu-ray releases from Grindhouse Releasing, following the best-selling success of CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST, CANNIBAL FEROX, and THE BEYOND. Grindhouse Releasing is known for its lavishly restored, exhaustively detailed releases of cult-classic movies including Frank Perry’s THE SWIMMER, starring Burt Lancaster, which won the 2014 Satellite Award for Best Overall Blu-ray from the International Press Academy, Sergio Sollima’s classic spaghetti western THE BIG GUNDOWN, starring Lee Van Cleef and Tomas Milian, Duke Mitchell’s crime epics MASSACRE MAFIA STYLE and GONE WITH THE POPE. Robert Hartford-Davies’ CORRUPTION, starring Peter Cushing, and Amos Sefer’s AN AMERICAN HIPPIE IN ISRAEL, starring Asher Tzarfati and Shmuel Wolf.
For more information visit www.GrindhouseReleasing.com
Grindhouse Releasing’s PIECES 3-disc Blu-ray/CD specs:
– TWO complete versions of this shocking gore classic: PIECES (83 min.) – the original, unrated U.S. theatrical version, presented in English MIL GRITOS TIENE LA NOCHE (86 min.) – the original uncensored director’s cut, presented in Spanish with original score by Librado Pastor
– Spectacular new 4K transfers – scanned from the original camera negative
– Brand new audio commentary by star Jack Taylor
– Special 5.1 audio option – the Vine Theater Experience!
– In-depth interviews with director Juan Piquer Simón and genre superstar Paul L. Smith
– 42nd STREET MEMORIES – all-new feature-length documentary containing interviews with Bill Lustig, Larry Cohen, Frank Henenlotter, Buddy Giovinazzo, Jeff Lieberman, John Skipp, Lynn Lowry, Terry Levene, and many other exploitation icons
– Extensive gallery of stills and poster art
– Exhaustive filmographies
– Liner notes by legendary horror journalists Chas. Balun (DEEP RED) and Rick Sullivan (GORE GAZETTE)
– BONUS CD – original soundtrack – n ewly remastered from the original studio tapes
– Beautiful embossed slipcover
– First 3000 units include an actual jigsaw puzzle! Strictly limited to 3000 units!
– AND OTHER SURPRISES!