‘Friday the 13th’ Rights Lawsuit Slashes On

Sad news for Friday the 13th fans, the ongoing and severely frustrating lawsuit between the original film’s screenwriter Victor Miller and director Sean Cunningham will continue as Cunningham has now refiled his appeal which means the reversion of rights Miller had been granted in 2018 are now again in limbo.

In short, fans should not expect a new Friday film in the near future, because the fight is far from over and the lawsuit could go in any direction.

The last update on the status of the lawsuit gave fans hope to soon have good news in terms of the next entry in the franchise.

After Miller had won the rights to the original Friday film in court, Cunningham had withdrawn his notice to appeal Miller’s victory, despite it being over a technicality. After news of this, fans were hoping the two would finally come to terms and reconcile therefore beginning the opportunity for a new entry in the franchise. With the current situation at hand this is not going to happen, yet at least.

A Tweet from Eriq Gardner, senior editor at The Hollywood Reporter, confirms this with a court order shown here:

Entertainment lawyer, and star of Friday the 13th Part 3, Larry Zerner has also asserted his perspective on his Twitter page about the case when he said,“This isn’t the end of the world, but it is disappointing. It may just mean that they need additional time to get a deal done. … I [think] that Victor Miller would probably win the appeal, but I don’t want to wait another two years before they can start making a new Friday the 13th movie.”

With any luck Jason will rise from Crystal Lake sooner than later, until then fans can only row onward.

Check back soon for more on the Friday the 13th lawsuit status.

Mark McCurley
Mark McCurley
Since Mark was four years old he has always loved the horror genre, even when his mother would be a good parent and not let him watch such films. It was when he would sneak into the Horror section at the video store called Tommy K's that he would see all of the VHS covers of classics like Friday the 13th and A Nightmare on Elm Street. During his time as a journalism major and news staff writer at Southern CT State University, he had the pleasure of meeting and interviewing paranormal investigator Lorraine Warren before a seminar in 2009 at the Lyman Center on campus.

Similar Articles

Comments

Latest News

‘Amnesia: Rebirth’ Game Aims For Deeper Horror Experience

The latest entry in the Amnesia series of survival horror games--Amnesia: Rebirth--wants to give players a "different kind of horror". Executives from Frictional Games said...

The Op’s ‘The Shining: Escape from the Overlook Hotel’ Game Coming this Fall

Just in time for the 40th anniversary of The Shining, The Op has announced a new at-home escape room style game called The Shining:...

FX Renews ‘What We Do In The Shadows’ For Third Season

The shadows will hold even more thrills, chills and zany adventures next season on FX. The popular comedic vampire series What We Do In The...

‘Blade: The Iron Cross’ to Debut in June

The Puppet Master series will unleash its 12th official entry when Blade: The Iron Cross makes its debut exclusively on the Full Moon Features channel...

RLJE Films, Shudder Land Rights To ‘The Pale Door’

The Pale Door will open onto a new world  of horror in the Old West, both theatrically and on Shudder, later this year.  Both...