10. Sound designer Richard Beggs made the “Ectomobile” siren sound from a leopard snarl that was edited, pitched and otherwise processed
9. Sandra Bernhard was originally offered the role of Janine.
8. The role of Winston was originally written for Eddie Murphy.
7. Lindsey Buckingham was approached to write the theme song to after the successful collaboration for National Lampoon’s Vacation (“Holiday Road”).
6. Huey Lewis and the News turned down an offer to write and record a theme song for Ghostbusters. They later sued Ray Parker Jr. for plagiarism, citing the similarities between his theme song and their earlier hit “I Want a New Drug.”
5. The role of Louis Tully was originally written for John Candy
4. Dan Aykroyd’s original title for the film was “Ghost Smashers”.
3. Christopher Walken, John Lithgow, Christopher Lloyd and Jeff Goldblum were all considered for the role of Dr. Egon Spengler.
2. The Stay-Puft marshmallow man was originally supposed to come up out of the water right next to The Statue of Liberty, to get a contrast of size, but the scene was too hard to shoot.
1. On the set, Dan Aykroyd referred to the “Slimer” ghost as the ghost of John Belushi