David Harbour Speaks Out on ‘Hellboy’ Flop

The actor behind the macabre makeup in last year’s Hellboy reboot recently expressed his views on why the film did so poorly.

David Harbour, of Stranger Things and Black Widow fame, said during an Instagram interview that he thought the R-rated reboot failed “before we began shooting, because I think that people didn’t want us to make the movie for some reason.”

He continued that Guillermo del Toro and Ron Perlman created “this iconic thing that we thought could be reinvented. (But) the loudness of the internet was like, ‘We do not want you to touch this’.”

Directed by Game of Thrones‘ Neil Marshall, this most recent Hellboy film recast the title role previously played by Perlman and shifted away from del Toro’s movies.

Harbour added that he thought the cast and crew “made a movie that I think is fun and I think had its problems, but was a fun movie, and then people were just very against it, and that’s people’s right, but I learned my lesson in a lot of different ways.

“We did our best, but there’s so many voices that go into these things and they’re not always going to work out,” he said. “I did what I could do and I feel proud of what I did, but ultimately I’m not in control of a lot of those things.”

Thomas Tuna
Thomas Tuna
Thomas A. Tuna is a comic book veteran who began his writing career back in the ’70s with Charlton Comics, contributing to such horror titles as Ghost Manor, Haunted, The Many Ghosts of Dr. Graves and Ghostly Haunts. Most recently, he has served as a writer and editor (with more than a smattering of horror yarns) for such comic book websites as Hyper Epics and Red Moon Features. Some of his favorite horror flicks include Jaws, Salem’s Lot, Dracula (with Frank Langella) and Blade. His favorite horror comic books? Tomb of Dracula (by Marv Wolfman and Gene Colan) and Swamp Thing (by Len Wein and Berni Wrightson).

Similar Articles

Comments

Latest News

‘Last Night In Soho’ Now Slated For 2021 Release Date

Better late than never. The psychological horror film Last Night In Soho--previously slated for release this fall--is now scheduled to hit theaters April 23, 2021. The Focus Features entry--directed...

Sony, Amazon Team Up To Develop ‘The Fear Collection’

A brand-new project from Sony Pictures and Amazon Prime Video will unleash a new horror anthology series on both the big and small screen. Sony...

‘Confessional’ Set to Debut Tomorrow on Shudder

Shudder is back at it again with more original content.  This time the horror streamer is set to deliver a spooky take on confession...

‘Marianne’ Director To Lead Horror Film ‘Cobweb’ For Lionsgate

A filmmaker who made his horror reputation with the eerie French series Marianne has signed on to direct a new movie for Lionsgate. Samuel Bodin will helm...

Scott Derrickson Tabbed To Helm Upcoming ‘Labyrinth’ Sequel

TriStar Pictures has named a director with an impressive horror and fantasy resume to guide its long-awaited sequel to the cult classic Labyrinth. Scott Derrickson--who directed...