It’s been a long, hard road for the Candyman reboot on its way to theaters, but it looks like the green light has finally been given.
Universal Pictures this week announced that the much-anticipated “spiritual sequel” to the 1992 original horror film will hit movie theaters (remember them?) Aug. 27, 2021, as reported by comicbook.com.
The film had been pushed around–along with so many movie projects–by the continuing COVID-19 crisis. Candyman–which was shot in the fall of 2019–was originally planned to hit the Silver Screen in June of this year. But it was bumped back to this September, then to October and then to the ever-popular TBD in 2021. At least fans now have a specific date to look forward to.
Nia DaCosta–who directed and co-wrote the reboot (along with producer Jordan Peele and Win Rosenfeld–said the movie was always intended to be seen in theaters. “Not just for the spectacle, but because the film is about community and stories,” she said.
Peele praised the original movie, calling it a “landmark film for Black representation in the horror genre. Alongside Night of the Living Dead, Candyman was a major inspiration for me as a filmmaker–and to have a bold new talent like Nia at the helm of this project is truly exciting.”
The movie–rated R for “bloody horror violence and language”–follows artist Anthony McCoy and his girlfriend Brianna, who move to a part of Chicago where the Cabrini Green housing projects once stood. A Cabrini old-timer exposes Anthony to the true story of the Candyman, a “supernatural killer with a hook for a hand, summoned by those daring to repeat his name five times in a mirror.”
Candyman stars Yahya Abdul-Mateen II, Teyonah Parris, Nathan Stewart-Jarrett, Colman Domingo, Tony Todd, Vanessa Estelle Williams, Rebecca Spence and Cassie Kramer.
Keep reading Horror News Network for any further updates on Candyman.